Giving Via Stock & IRA

Giving to USM Via Stock

Stock owned for more than a year with increased value is worthy of donating to the University of Saint Mary.

Suppose you invest $2,500 in shares, and 10 years later, it is worth $5,000. You might owe $750 to Uncle Sam if your tax bracket has a 15 percent capital gains tax rate. If you give USM ownership of the stock, you could claim $5,000 as a charitable contribution on your taxes.

Contact your bank, financial advisor, broker, or transfer agent to deliver by DTC to:

Charles Schwab & Company, Inc.
DTC #: 0164, code 40
For credit to account: 7227-1257
Client account name: University of Saint Mary
FBO: University of Saint Mary

Communication is key in stock transfers since donor information does not always transmit.

Giving to USM Via IRA

Boost your support by giving a qualified charitable distribution (QCD) from your Individual Retirement Account (IRA). Contact your IRA administrator and provide the following:

University of Saint Mary
4100 S. 4th Street
Leavenworth, KS 66048
Fed Tax ID#:48-0547846

For those 72 and older, this distribution counts toward your required minimum distribution (RMD) without counting toward your taxable income.

You must be age 70 ½ or older at the time of giving.

Jane Liebert, C'97

To ensure proper crediting and your giving intentions via stock or IRA, contact Director of Major Gifts & Planned Giving Jane Ellen Liebert, C’97, at or 913-758-6126.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: